Friday, February 03, 2012

Hip to be Square

Lately I have been making a lot of square cards. I stayed away from them, but now that I have envelopes for square cards, it's "full steam ahead". I like to have envelopes for all of my cards because I just hate putting a beautiful card into a mismatched envelope. I think first impressions are important! Anyone else think this way?

Our Creative Corner Challenge this week is 'hip to be square'.


If this was a layered challenge, I could enter this card. Counting the card base it is 6 layers.  Layer 1: card base.  Layer 2 is DP from JoAnn's.  Layer 3 is teal scalloped circles from Spellbinders.  Layer 4 is also a Spellbinders circle that has been embossed in a Cuttlebug folder, then the raised areas were colored with Prisma colored pencils. The birds are a part of the embossed image. I lined the birds up to fit inside the respective cages before embossing.  Layer 5 is Taylored Expressions birdcages stamped on acrylic, colored on the backside with markers and mounted to layer 4 with clear pop dots.  Layer 6 is leaves cut from a Sizzix die. The sentiment in the middle is from a Stamping Sensations' Perfectly Said Rubber Stamp set called .....wait for it....."BIRD QUOTES". How appropriate is that?

This is the sketch that was used to design this card.



Back to creating cards in my Butterfly Garden.

8 comments:

Sharon Wheet said...

Marie, WOW! you have created a master piece. I love how you used the colors in the background paper and all the different bird cages! They really do add alot of visual interest! LOVE IT! Great job!
thank you for taking the time to play along with us @ OCC. Great entry!

Lisa Elton said...

You knocked my socks off with this one Marie! Wow how beautiful and those bird cages are magnificent! I'll have to check those out ;)

Debbie said...

This is gorgeous!!! I love every layer!! *where do you find clear pop dots?
Debbie

Beebeebabs said...

Absolutely beautiful tfs!!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh my gosh, Marie, this card is fanastic! I'm loving the bird cages and pops of purple, plus the vines on top of each one are the crowning touch. LOVE it! Thanks for joining in again this week at Our Creative Corner!

Maria said...

A stunning card with sweet birds and lovely dp! Truly a gorgeous card...great job!

Pauline said...

What a fabulous sketch Marie, and a gorgeous card too! Congrats on your GD spot, so well deserved!
I get a bit grumpy about envelopes, as many of my cards are so embellished a regular envelope won't fit! So I have taken to including the card inside a wrapped present, or I end up wrapping it like a present as I really am not very good at making my own boxes/envies!

Theresa said...

Love those bird cages. Fabulous card friend.